Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 6, 2011

6/365...2011 WELL BLESS YOUR COTTON PICKING HEART

"Well Bless Your Heart, Bless Your Cotton Picking Heart, Bless Your Pea Picking Heart". 


All of the above are sayings I grew up hearing living in the deep South (Mississippi and Alabama growing up. living in Kentucky for two years and now Louisiana for 2 1/2 years.

I have said this saying at least 4 times today to others and to myself.  I have seen 5 posts on facebook already the past two days with this saying. Friends from several different states.  Maybe there was a full moon last night?   I have seen numerous responses on my post and others and EVERYONE pretty much knew what it meant! We all need to just let things go, handle things differently the next time (including me)  and realize that a year from now, none of us will remember how upset we got over little things.  These things I call "joy stealers".  There are more important things that will happen to each of us this year - good and bad things, tragic and joyful things.  I think that I heard this said by Beth Moore at a "Women of Faith" conference years ago.  Everyone does not think as we do.  None of us always preview and edit the things that we say.  Not even a 3 year old or a 30 year old!  I let it happen to me too much.  I am much better letting it go now than 10 years ago.  I think a lot of it is age and my Momma telling me to just let it go over the years!

Here is a simple definition:


In the South, we believe in being polite even if it kills us to do so. When we just can't fight the urge to say something nasty, we follow it up with a "bless her heart" or "bless your heart" just to make us feel better. "Look at that poor lady trying to jog around the track.  Her rear-end is dragging the a trail, bless her cotton picking heart."

  When your cousin or other family member does something just plain stupid and has
   no idea.  You comment back to her "well bless your heart".  After all, they are still family.

  When someone is telling you about their terrible day, their bad day at work, their kid having meltdowns all day, coloring on the wall, making messes, we just say "well bless your heart",because we are glad it was them having a bad day today and not us with our kid! (Which will probably happen tomorrow)

This morning it started when Savannah woke up.  She refused to wear the clothes I laid out for her.  Excuses were:  They were ugly, she did not like polka dots, she did not like stripes, there was not enough pink in the flower, it was the wrong flavor pop tart, she wanted popcorn instead, not enough chocolate in her milk and on and on.  I did bite my tongue and say "Sweetheart, Bless your heart". The reason for this meltdown?  She wanted to wear a princess tshirt that she had worn already three times this week.



Tonight I sat down with Eric after Savannah had a 90 minute meltdown because she did not want to get out of the bath tub, did not want to wear her panties, did not want to wear a nite nite diaper, did not want to sleep in her bed - I came to a great idea.  I am drinking my wine out of a glass that says "Mommy's Time Out".  I think I will make some wine glasses with this "Bless Your Heart" saying.  Taking orders!  $10.00 per glass! 

Now those of you who read my sad story of today - I bet you are saying it too!  Only because you are glad it wasn't your day! After all, she thinks she is a princess and we tell her this.  Princess have demands and high expectations.  By 5 pm today I was downloading a new book for my Kindle " You're Not the Boss of Me: Brat proofing your Four to Twelve Year Old.  (Betsy Brown Braun)  Savannah will be 4 in March!  I don't think its a day too early for me to start reading this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment