Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

5/365...2011 Cinderella and Chocolate

Sharing those traditions and memories that we grew up with can be a bit interesting at times.  I want to share all the good memories and traditions with Savannah.  I want her to be a southern belle, after all we named her with that in mind!  I want her to have a southern accent.  She is getting there I do think!  I want her to wear pretty dresses, smocked dresses, sparkly shoes and not be afraid to play in the sand while wearing them.  I want her to feel beautiful no matter what she wears or does.  However this morning she insisted on wearing a too tight Disney Princess T shirt and Halloween pants with skeletons.  (These are clothes I will let her play in, but NOT go out in public wearing)  She insisted the two things matched.  But she tells me when my blue jeans do not match my black sweater! 

Today I was very busy.  I made 8 meat loafs for the meal exchange with friends tomorrow, 2 batches of brownies and a cake.  I heated in the oven Chicken Spaghetti for lunch and  oven baked mac and cheese to go with our dinner.  Savannah saw my pride and joy sitting on the counter this morning.  She was SO excited.  It was my Kitchen aid mixer.  She knows what that means, she gets to lick the bowl!  She thinks that cake batter is icing!  Needless to say, she drove me crazy till I gave her the bowl and spatula.  I was glad that she was NOT wearing the dress that I laid out for her to wear this morning!  She takes licking the bowl very seriously!  This is something my Momma always let us do.  Well I think my sister got the bowl much more often, still does to this day.  She does not like cake, but loves cake batter!  I love sharing this memory with Savannah and passing it down as something I let her do also.

I also thought of Cinderella today.  I have a Mardi Gras 12th Night Ball to go to on Saturday night and absolutely NOTHING to wear to it.  Yes, its now Thursday night and I need to get together an outfit for both Eric and I!  There is an 80's band playing.  Suggested attire is 80's wear or Mardi Gras Festive.  Savannah has been out on Christmas break for what seems FOREVER.  How on earth can I go shopping for something to wear before the big day?  Yes- I am like Cinderella with nothing to wear, waiting on a fairy god mother to grant me an extra day this week and a baby sitter so I can go in search of an outfit!  Preschool starts Friday, but I have a hair appt that morning, so no time then to shop for an outfit.  So tomorrow afternoon, we will hit the road and I will have my fashion critic tell me what looks good and what does not. 

I asked Eric if he went to his prom in the early 80's.  He said yes.  I asked what he wore, he has no idea!  Now girls will remember what they wore!  I did not go to my proms, I did not have a date nor did I ever have a boyfriend or a date in high school.  I was so shy!  I know those of you who know me today and did not know me back then cannot possibly believe this.  I was shy until a college speech class - then it all changed.  Going to Mardi Gras Balls in Mobile, Alabama and being in a Mardi Gras Krewe with Eric was like going to the prom for me.  Pretty fancy long dresses at least 3 times per season.  I always felt pretty.  I felt in a way like it was making up for my high school days.  It took till my mid 30's until I ever had a Cinderella moment in my life.  My wedding dress was the perfect Cinderella dress!  Very fitting on top and a full skirt, the perfect gown for our ball (oops, I mean wedding)!

Tonight Savannah is eating the brownies that I made, she is also wearing a Cinderella tshirt.  It has no head on the shirt.  Her head is the Cinderella head!  Maybe I just need a tshirt like this to wear to my ball or I could wear my wedding gown!  I want this child of ours to always feel like she is confident, talented, beautiful, smart and entitled to receiving a great life. A life that she receives all of God's blessings. I want her to know we think she is just perfect and that as she grows up she can create the life that she wants.  A life that she just might not have had if it weren't for special caring friends and one very brave 14 year old girl. A girl who too deserves a Cinderella moment in her life very soon.

1 comment:

  1. awwww this made me laugh and cry! Savannah will always know she is Cinderella! She already does. I know what you mean about having those moments. I did go to prom and had a very cinderella gown for mine, and a sexy short number for Charles's the year before. I did not believe I was pretty or even worthy of him as a date. I know however realize everyone has their own beauty!

    ReplyDelete