Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

11/365...2011 JUNE CLEAVER, I Am Not.



This afternoon as I was putting logs in the fireplace for a fire Savannah told me "Momma, That's a Daddy job!"  Where she got this I do not know!  She sees  her Daddy doing this more often than me.  But, I can start an amazing warm fire!  I never want her to think something is a specific Momma or a Daddy job!  After all,  I already see signs of a chemist and an engineer in this precious child. 

Most all of you know that I did not meet Eric till I was 34 and did not marry till I was 37.  So I had to learn to do things myself.  I never did learn how to take care of a car. My Daddy always had a company car and didn't have to do it and so he never taught me.  So - that is why when I had "forgotten" to get an oil change on my first car for a long time, that my car overheated.  We got a ride to work and called a wrecker.  When the wrecker went to pick up my car within a 30 minute period, the car had been stolen, later to have been found.  When I finished college and moved to Atlanta I had my first flat tire one morning.  I attempted to change the tire only to have the jack go thru the floor board and the car fell down.  So - I do say those are a guy's job or a job that I pay someone to do.  Other than that I try to do many things myself.  AAA is worth every penny!

The kitchen is an area that has always been my pride and joy.  I love to cook like my Momma.  I love to bake, I love to learn how to make new things!  When moving to Ohio after being married I called local bakeries in February to order a Mardi Gras King cake.  I quickly learned that those were to only be found in the south.  I could order one and have it shipped for approximately $50 or I could learn to make one.  So, I search for Emeril Lagase's recipe and created the most amazing King Cakes for 7 years.  Now that we live in Louisiana, I am not sure what I want to do.  I think mine are the most amazing King Cakes compared to anyplace I have ever purchased.  Hmmmm , maybe I should take orders and sell them! I have learned to bake bread, make pasta, biscotti, buckeye's, gumbo, and many other yummy and fancy dishes. 

When Eric and I met I knew the way to his heart may be southern food.  His idea of cooking was to open a can of green beans, a can of Chinese vegetables and boil a bag of rice.  It all tasted like the inside of the tin can!  Pretty soon his skills improved.  He could make the most amazing shish kabobs that I have ever eaten.  Heck, he has even learned how to do a shrimp boil and boil peanuts!

I am not a June Cleaver or a Martha Stewart.  I could cook all day if someone would clean up after me.  I have friends who say that they do not cook.  I don't understand why they won't try.  I watch "House Hunters" on HGTV and see many wives walk thru a kitchen and comment that it is not an important room as they do not cook, they have a career! 

I too had a career.  I was a manufacturing accountant for 13 years and a Methodist Youth director for 8 years (not counting all the volunteer years).  I was a community volunteer, I was a recipient along with the Literacy Council I was president of for President Bush's "Point of Light".  I was an English as A Second Language Teacher and regional trainer.  I will never say that someone who cooks meals for their family and friends is beneath anyone who chooses to not cook and only have a career.  I have had both. 

I remember one Christmas I had a friend in Ohio make a beautiful apron for my Mother In Law and for myself.  I gave it to Priscilla for Christmas.  She absolutely adored it and has worn it since. This wonderful Mom of Eric's has her PHD.  She had an amazing career.  My sister in law quickly told me to "NEVER" give her an apron and expect her to wear it.   That she was not that kind of woman.  I don't know that "that kind of woman" is, but I am proud to add that to my resume.  I proudly wear my aprons.  Yes, I have several.  One is of Savannah's hand prints.  It will always be precious to me.  Others are silly or seasonal designs. 

I love how food can also feed the heart and soul.  I was blessed with my MOPS (Mothers of Preschool Group) who provided my family with many meals when I had foot surgery.  I have lovingly prepared many meals to share with new Moms and those who are ill.  I have taken more meals than I can count to families who have lost a loved one.

I have been a part of about 5 meal swaps in the past few months.  I will not list any of the Moms names because I am sure I would leave someone out.  These are amazing Moms who are amazing cooks.  The hours of 5 - 7 are the "witching hour" in our house.  Things just seem to do downhill with meltdowns.  My freezer stays full of home cooked frozen meals.  I am only now cooking about 2 to 3 times per week.  I can have fun, focus on Savannah and make this a special time.  Eric is not picky and has loved all the meals.  These Moms and meals have blessed me beyond measure!

In the south I do think that we focus to many events around food.  That is one of our contributing factors to the obesity in the south.  Maybe we just need to eat off of smaller plates like my Momma does.  That seems to work for her.   One of my most precious gifts from my Momma is a cookbook she created for my sister and I the year after she retired.  It has all her recipes and my Grandmaw's in there.  I would not trade it for anything in the word.  I hope to be able to create the same and pass it to Savannah when she grows up. My sister is not a cook.  Our family constantly jokes about it.  She cooks everything on 450 degrees and smothers it in Dales sauce!  I still love her and my sister in law, even though they would never wear an apron! My sister can cook if she had the time and set her mind to it.  She cooked lasagne and cheesecake from scratch to impress the guy she was dating who is now her husband.  Tom loves that my Momma has an apartment built onto their home.  He gets amazing meals and leftovers to take to work!

So tonight, I sit here relaxed more than the "mom next door".  I thank each and every one of you who have provided for my family.  I am not June Cleaver or Martha Stewart, but I wouldn't mind it one bit if I was a bit more like them!


1 comment:

  1. I have seen many of my mommy friends who post that they don't cook. I simply don't understand. I like you had a job, a career, a life before children. I however now where my mommy apron with great pride and great pleasure! (I also wish someone else would clean up the mess!) If you decide you want to make those kingcakes, let me know. I can come down and bake with you and learn to make your awesome king cake! :)

    ReplyDelete